The School Leader and Educational Service Provider shall notify applicants for admission and employment, students, parents or legal guardians of elementary and secondary school students, Board and Educational Service Provider employees, of the following information:
The Board of Directors of the Battle Creek Area Learning Center does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its education program or activity, and is required by Title IX and its implementing regulations not to discriminate in such a manner. The requirement not to discriminate in its education program or activity extends to admission and employment.
The Academy’s Title IX Coordinator(s) is/are:
765 Upton Ave.
Springfield, MI 49037
765 Upton Ave.
Springfield, MI 49037
Any inquiries about the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations to the Academy may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator(s), the Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, or both.
The Board has adopted a grievance process that provides for the prompt and equitable resolution of student and employee complaints alleging any action that is prohibited by Title IX and/or its implementing regulations. The grievance process is included in Policy 2266 – Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Sex in Education Programs or Activities, which is available at: https://calhounhs.org/. The grievance process specifically addresses how to report or file a complaint of sex discrimination, how to report or file a formal complaint of Sexual Harassment, and how the Academy will respond.
Rhonda Ostrander-Cook is the Executive Director of E3 Achievement, a non-profit organization that focuses on education and literacy. She has over 20 years experience in management and administration. She and her husband, Dick have 5 young adult children - two of whom attended CCHS. She has served on the CCHS Board since 2013.
Katherine Fox is a Program Analyst at the VA Medical Center where she has worked at for the past 16 years. She lives with her husband, Paul, in Battle Creek. Katherine began her service on the CCHS Board in 2011 as a Parent Representative and is a proud parent of a 2012 graduate of CCHS.
Mr. Gilbert Ortiz is the Executive Director and founder of Community Fatherhood and a long standing member of the Michigan Fatherhood Coalition. Through his own life experiences, Gilbert knows first-hand how a child feels when a father isn't involved. His story has impacted other fathers that he serves through his organization. Gilbert has served on the CCHS school board since July of 2014.
Christy Chapin runs the Michigan Southern Swing program, is Co-Manager of the Certified Tourism Ambassador™ program and Manages the staff of the Battle Creek Welcome Center. She has lived in Battle Creek her whole life, has 25 years of customer service experience and a BS in Human services with a focus in management. She feels her true purpose and happiness, is her children. She and her husband Norm have six children between the ages of 21 and 17, the youngest whom attends CCHS. She started serving on the board in 2018.
2020-2021 Board Meeting Schedule (all at 5:30 p.m.)
- July 14, 2020 (Annual Organizational Meeting on ZOOM)
- Aug. 11, 2020 – In person
- Sept. 8, 2020
- Oct. 13, 2020 (Annual Financial Audit)
- Nov. 10, 2020
- Dec. 8, 2020
- Jan. 12, 2021
- Feb. 9, 2021
- March 9, 2021
- April 13, 2021
- May 11, 2021
- June 8, 2021
- July 13, 2021
Board Meeting Minutes
Official minutes of the Board of Education are kept, and are available for inspection, in the Director’s Office.
- Sept. 15, 2020 Draft Meeting Minutes
- August 11, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- July 14, 2020 Regular Meeting Minutes
- July 14, 2020 Organizational Meeting Minutes
- June 9, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- May 12, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- April 14, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Mar. 10, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Feb. 11, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Jan. 14, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Dec. 10, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- Nov. 12, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- Oct. 15, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- Sept. 10, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- July 24, 2019 Organizational Meeting Minutes
- July 16, 2019 Regular Meeting Minutes
- July 9, 2019 Emergency Meeting Minutes
- June 11, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- May 14, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- April 9, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- March 12, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- Feb. 12, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- Jan. 8, 2019 Meeting Minutes
- Dec. 11, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- Nov. 13, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- Oct. 9, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- Sept. 11, 2018 Meeting Minutes
Any person with a disability who needs accommodation for participation in these meetings should contact Jessica Reid in the School Office at 269-565-2460 at least five days in advance of the meeting to request assistance.