The School Leader and Educational Service Provider shall notify applicants for admission and employment, students, parents or legal guardians of elementary and secondary school students, Board and Educational Service Provider employees, of the following information:
The Board of Directors of the Battle Creek Area Learning Center does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its education program or activity, and is required by Title IX and its implementing regulations not to discriminate in such a manner. The requirement not to discriminate in its education program or activity extends to admission and employment.
The Academy’s Title IX Coordinator(s) is/are:
765 Upton Ave.
Springfield, MI 49037
765 Upton Ave.
Springfield, MI 49037
Any inquiries about the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations to the Academy may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator(s), the Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, or both.
The Board has adopted a grievance process that provides for the prompt and equitable resolution of student and employee complaints alleging any action that is prohibited by Title IX and/or its implementing regulations. The grievance process is included in Policy 2266 – Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Sex in Education Programs or Activities, which is available at: https://calhounhs.org/. The grievance process specifically addresses how to report or file a complaint of sex discrimination, how to report or file a formal complaint of Sexual Harassment, and how the Academy will respond.
Rhonda Ostrander-Cook is the Executive Director of E3 Achievement, a non-profit organization that focuses on education and literacy. She has over 20 years experience in management and administration. She and her husband, Dick have 5 young adult children - two of whom attended CCHS. She has served on the CCHS Board since 2013.
Barbara Spencer has been an educator since 1995, and has served in a variety of roles. She left a successful career in business to impact the lives of young people, and she has never looked back. She has taught middle school, high school, alternative high school, and college, and has been a counselor, an instructional coach, and an educational consultant. She is now raising her 9 year old granddaughter, Brooklyn, and is happily back in the classroom, working with students - her favorite thing to do! Barb is new to the board, and very excited to begin this phase of her service in education!
Tammy Schiller has worked as an educator in the Southwest Michigan area since 1994. She has served as a math teacher, instructional coach and educational consultant. She is currently employed as an Academic Consultant at Calhoun Area Career Center. Tammy is proud to be a life-long resident of Battle Creek where she lives with her husband, Steve, their youngest son and 2 crazy dogs. The Schillers have 2 older children in college at Western Michigan University and Purdue Fort Wayne. Tammy has been a board member at CCHS since June 2021 and looks forward to supporting what's best for kids alongside the CCHS School Board and staff.
Tim Reese is a retired public/charter school administrator with 30 years of K-12 experience in a variety of roles. He began his career working with an alternative high school for Battle Creek schools, he’s worked for Calhoun County Juvenile Court division in the juvenile home and as a probation officer and has facilitated group sessions for CCHS students around Cognitive Behavior. Tim and his wife Victoria, have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. Tim has served on the board since January 2021.
Katherine Fox is a Program Analyst at the VA Medical Center where she has worked at for the past 16 years. She lives with her husband, Paul, in Battle Creek. Katherine began her service on the CCHS Board in 2011 as a Parent Representative and is a proud parent of a 2012 graduate of CCHS.
Mr. Gilbert Ortiz is the Executive Director and founder of Community Fatherhood and a long standing member of the Michigan Fatherhood Coalition. Through his own life experiences, Gilbert knows first-hand how a child feels when a father isn't involved. His story has impacted other fathers that he serves through his organization. Gilbert has served on the CCHS school board since July of 2014.
- Notice of Rescheduled Board Meeting Rescheduled Board Meeting
- Notice of Rescheduled Board Meeting Rescheduled
- In accordance with Senate bill 1246, CCHS will post Virtual School Board Meetings which must include:(a) Why the public body is meeting electronically. To avoid face to face contact during the COVID 19 Pandemic.(b) How members of the public may participate in the meeting electronically. If a telephone number, internet address, or both are needed to participate, that information must be provided specifically. Public participants may connect through the ZOOM link provided.(c) How members of the public may contact members of the public body to provide input or ask questions on any business that will come before the public body at the meeting. Through the ZOOM link, public comments can be directed to the board through the “chat” format.(d) How persons with disabilities may participate in the meeting. Persons with disabilities may contact Administrative Assistant (Jessica Reid) for information on how to access the meeting. She can be reached at 269-565-2482. Also, 18 hours prior to the meeting the posting must be displayed.
2021-2022 Board Meeting Schedule (6:00 p.m.)
- July 27, 2021 (Annual Organizational Meeting, 5:30 p.m.)
- Aug. 24, 2021
- Sept. 28, 2021
- Oct. 26, 2021 (Annual Financial Audit)
- Nov. 16, 2021
- Dec. 14, 2021 (Cancelled due to lack of quorum)
- Jan. 25, 2022
- Feb. 22, 2022
- March 22, 2022
- April 26, 2022
- May 24, 2022
- June 21, 2022 (Budget Hearing)
- July 26, 2022
Board Meeting Minutes
Official minutes of the Board of Education are kept, and are available for inspection, in the Director’s Office.
- April 26, 2022 Draft Meeting Minutes
- March 22, 2022 Meeting Minutes
- February 22, 2022 Meeting Minutes
- January 25, 2022 Meeting Minutes
- November 16, 2021 Meeting Minutes
- November 4, 2021 Special Meeting Minutes
- October 26, 2021 Meeting Minutes
- September 28, 2021 Meeting Minutes
Any person with a disability who needs accommodation for participation in these meetings should contact Jessica Reid in the School Office at 269-565-2460 at least five days in advance of the meeting to request assistance.