The School Leader and Educational Service Provider shall notify applicants for admission and employment, students, parents or legal guardians of elementary and secondary school students, Board and Educational Service Provider employees, of the following information:
The Board of Directors of the Battle Creek Area Learning Center does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its education program or activity, and is required by Title IX and its implementing regulations not to discriminate in such a manner. The requirement not to discriminate in its education program or activity extends to admission and employment.
The Academy’s Title IX Coordinator(s) is/are:
765 Upton Ave.
Springfield, MI 49037
765 Upton Ave.
Springfield, MI 49037
Any inquiries about the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations to the Academy may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator(s), the Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, or both.
The Board has adopted a grievance process that provides for the prompt and equitable resolution of student and employee complaints alleging any action that is prohibited by Title IX and/or its implementing regulations. The grievance process is included in Policy 2266 – Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Sex in Education Programs or Activities, which is available at: https://calhounhs.org/. The grievance process specifically addresses how to report or file a complaint of sex discrimination, how to report or file a formal complaint of Sexual Harassment, and how the Academy will respond.
Rhonda Ostrander-Cook is the Executive Director of E3 Achievement, a non-profit organization that focuses on education and literacy. She has over 20 years experience in management and administration. She and her husband, Dick have 5 young adult children - two of whom attended CCHS. She has served on the CCHS Board since 2013.
Tim Reese is a retired public/charter school administrator with 30 years of K-12 experience in a variety of roles. He began his career working with an alternative high school for Battle Creek schools, he’s worked for Calhoun County Juvenile Court division in the juvenile home and as a probation officer and has facilitated group sessions for CCHS students around Cognitive Behavior. Tim and his wife Victoria, have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. Tim has served on the board since January 2021.
Katherine Fox is a Program Analyst at the VA Medical Center where she has worked at for the past 16 years. She lives with her husband, Paul, in Battle Creek. Katherine began her service on the CCHS Board in 2011 as a Parent Representative and is a proud parent of a 2012 graduate of CCHS.
Mr. Gilbert Ortiz is the Executive Director and founder of Community Fatherhood and a long standing member of the Michigan Fatherhood Coalition. Through his own life experiences, Gilbert knows first-hand how a child feels when a father isn't involved. His story has impacted other fathers that he serves through his organization. Gilbert has served on the CCHS school board since July of 2014.
Christy Chapin runs the Michigan Southern Swing program, is Co-Manager of the Certified Tourism Ambassador™ program and Manages the staff of the Battle Creek Welcome Center. She has lived in Battle Creek her whole life, has 25 years of customer service experience and a BS in Human services with a focus in management. She feels her true purpose and happiness, is her children. She and her husband Norm have six children between the ages of 21 and 17, the youngest whom attends CCHS. She started serving on the board in 2018.
- Anyone interested in attending the March Board Meeting on Tuesday March 9, 2021 at 5:30 p.m. here’s the Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/97934846335?pwd=Y1ZBclBTMWFia3Nld0Nkc3c4TE9Idz09
- Notice of Rescheduled Board Meeting Rescheduled
- In accordance with Senate bill 1246, CCHS will post Virtual School Board Meetings which must include:(a) Why the public body is meeting electronically. To avoid face to face contact during the COVID 19 Pandemic.(b) How members of the public may participate in the meeting electronically. If a telephone number, internet address, or both are needed to participate, that information must be provided specifically. Public participants may connect through the ZOOM link provided.(c) How members of the public may contact members of the public body to provide input or ask questions on any business that will come before the public body at the meeting. Through the ZOOM link, public comments can be directed to the board through the “chat” format.(d) How persons with disabilities may participate in the meeting. Persons with disabilities may contact the CCHS Administrative Assistant (Jessica Reid) for information on how to access the meeting. She can be reached at 269-565-2482.Also, 18 hours prior to the meeting the posting must be displayed
2020-2021 Board Meeting Schedule (all at 5:30 p.m.)
- July 14, 2020 (Annual Organizational Meeting on ZOOM)
- Aug. 11, 2020 – In person
- Sept. 8, 2020
- Oct. 13, 2020 (Annual Financial Audit)
- Nov. 10, 2020
- Dec. 8, 2020
- Jan. 19, 2021 – Meeting Agenda 1.-Agenda-for-January-2020.docx
- Feb. 9, 2021
- March 9, 2021
- April 13, 2021
- May 11, 2021
- June 8, 2021
- July 13, 2021
Board Meeting Minutes
Official minutes of the Board of Education are kept, and are available for inspection, in the Director’s Office.
- May 11, 2021 Draft Meeting Minutes
- April 13, 2021 Meeting Minutes
- March 9, 2021 Meeting Minutes
- Feb. 9, 2021 Meeting Minutes
- Jan. 19, 2021 Meeting Minutes
- Dec. 8, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Nov. 10, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Oct. 13, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Sept. 15, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- August 11, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- July 14, 2020 Regular Meeting Minutes
- July 14, 2020 Organizational Meeting Minutes
- June 9, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- May 12, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- April 14, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Mar. 10, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Feb. 11, 2020 Meeting Minutes
- Jan. 14, 2020 Meeting Minutes
Any person with a disability who needs accommodation for participation in these meetings should contact Jessica Reid in the School Office at 269-565-2460 at least five days in advance of the meeting to request assistance.